First Review of Order of the Phoenix, from Chicago Screening

• We've received several reports in the past few days about an early screening of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in Chicago; this is consistent with the timing and location of previous early screenings of other HP films. One reader noted that the movie looked like it had about 70 percent of special effects finished, and called it by far her favorite HP film. Reader Carlos sent us a detailed summary, which is below (and says if you ask questions in the comments, he'll answer). He gives the movie 3.5 stars and notes it's currently about 2:20 minutes; highlights, he says, include Evanna Lynch's turn as Luna and Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix. (If you went to the screening and want to share, email us!)

Please be reminded that SPOILERS abound in this description (not too many, actually, but we warn you just in case)...if you don't mind that, continue reading... (and if you're on the text only site, better close the window now).

"Yesterday, Christmas came very late, as I was fortunate enough to attend an advance screening of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

As I duck the volley of butterbeers thrown my way, I have to say I was rather impressed. The version I saw was not a finished product in that some of the soundtrack and CGI hadn't been completed in time for the screening, but what you do get is a version of the movie that's about 85% complete. The dialog and final edits seem to be complete so you get a film that was easy to follow. The CGI that wasn't complete usually centered on creatures that were rendered as either animatics or rough versions of the finished product.

The movie opens with the audience being introduced to some of the Order of the Phoenix, including Tonks, who's being played by Natalia Tena, as they whisk Harry away to Grimmauld Place. All of the returning players did an excellent job with the script and have seemed to really settle into their characters. Their on-screen ease translates into a much more digestible storyline. And for the new cast members, among them, the ineffably delightful Imelda Staunton as Dolores Umbridge made the experience all the more delightful. Newcomer Evanna Lynch had a great turn as the eccentric Luna Lovegood. Her scenes with Harry had the audience chuckling. The biggest laugh of the film was also tied to Harry; however, it's what preceded this laugh that will have some of Daniel's fans swooning.

We see Harry's first kiss. In the room of requirement, after most of the members of Dumbledore's Army leave, he's left alone with Cho and she tells him how difficult it's been for her after Cedric died. They just sort of get closer and finish in a long kiss which he later relates, in comic detail, to Hermione and Ron in the common room.

It's clear throughout the movie that Harry is maturing and finding his place in this world where Voldemort has not only returned but has strengthened his numbers.

Maturity is a recurring theme for some of the other characters as well and everyone is beginning to take responsibility for their actions.

One more standout performance, that would be tragic if I didn't mention it, has to be Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix Lestrange. She is one of the three actresses who floated around in my head when I read the book. Her performance was over the top, but I quite expected it from her character.

All in all, the movie is a quick paced fun ride which is sure to wow audiences with the sharp visual effects and provide staunch literalists with a balanced story line. Director David Yates, who has mostly worked in television, has helmed a great movie. Condensing a book of near 900 pages into a film of tolerable length would be a challenge for any director, let alone one who's new to feature films.

Yes, there are deep cuts, but the heart of the story is faithfully represented. Hopefully, the built in fan base, who can be rabid and quite militant at times, will appreciate this movie and for new fans (obviously living under a rock for the last decade) of the series it will serve as an explosive introduction. I will be in line to see the finished product many, many, times.

RATING ***1/2
    Runtime is approximately 140 minutes or 2:20."

quelle: tlc

140 minuten für soviel buch? :junge:

es ist schlimmer als ich befürchtet hatte. X(

Unterwegs sein

das ist es doch
    per pedes per Rad
    per Bahn per Flugzeug
    per Kopf in ferne Zonen
    zu finden was unauffindbar
    jenseits der Grenzen